Finlay Watchorn :: Barristers and Solicitors :: Since 1880

Continuing a Well Respected Tradition...

In 1880 the law firm of Finlay & Watchorn was founded by Mr William Alexander Finlay and Mr Arthur Denison Watchorn in a modest 2-storey Victorian Building at 32 Murray Street, Hobart.

In the early 1980s the firm opened an office at Kingston in the rapidly expanding municipality of Kingborough and since 2010 the firm has been wholly based in Kingston.

Finlay Watchorn occupies a proud place in the commercial and legal history of Hobart and Tasmania. Over the years we have provided the community with distinguished service, and have worked hard to earn and keep the respect for which we are known.

Mr William Alexander Finlay
W A Finlay
Mr Arthur Denison Watchorn
A D Watchorn
Finlay Watchorn Building, 19th Century
Original Building - c1880

Previous Finlay Watchorn partners have become State Attorney-General, Magistrates, Judges and one became Premier of Tasmania .

Of considerable historical significance is that Finlay Watchorn acted for George Adams and the Trustees of his Estate.  George Adams, the original proprietor and founder of the famous 'Tattersalls' lotteries, passed away on 23 September 1904. His Will provided for the continuing operation and supervision of Tattersalls.